List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Change Konqueror View Idea
From:       William Leese <william () leese ! nl>
Date:       2004-05-15 19:26:33

Jamethiel Knorth wrote:

> I like it a bit. It might be a good entry-level way of displaying the
> other views. However, the single-icon button also needs to be
> available, because once you know what that does, most all of it is a
> waste of space.
>
> You should try to clean it up so that it is identical in size to the
> search bar. The search bar only shows up while browsing the web, and
> this one will only show up while managing files. If they are identical
> in size, this will result in the screen not jumping around while you
> switch and the entire system being more consistent.

Can't do. Think about special views and translations; you can't be sure
how long the name will be.

One day KDE will surely use fading toolbar transitions instead of it's
current behavior ;) See the contactlist in kopete.

> If you keep the "View As:" entry, make sure its a separate toolbar
> entry, just like "Location:" as many people may want it gone.
>
> To help with consistence with the search bar, maybe move everything
> into the combo-box. Either just append " View" to each entry or change
> them to "Use _____ View". Not certain about that, it would need some
> testing.

Using sentences is not always the most userfriendly approach.

[ Useless Verb ] [ Widget ] [ Keyword / Label ]

vs

[ Keyword / Label + filling ] [ Widget ]

We evalutate things from left to right, so the ideal situation is to
have the keyword / label on the left so that once you get to the widget,
you know exactly what it's meant to do (instead of first having to read
a sentence - be it a short one).

  -- William