List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Change Konqueror View Idea
From:       Sean Lynch <lynch30 () marshall ! edu>
Date:       2004-05-15 4:32:08

I spent a little time tonight thinking about how to make the way you change
views in konqueror better.  There was talk about putting all of the different
views in one dropdown icon, and I agree, somewhat.  While I do think they
should be grouped, I think leaving it as 1 icon makes it to hard to pick out
from the group of icons on the toolbar.  Also, since many views, such as
gwenview's image browser and kfilereplace (definately) add alot of their own
icons, making it even more difficult to pick out which are used to switch
views, and which are used for other things.  I decided to go with a combobox
with icons next to each entry, as well as keep a defined grouping to help
find the option you want the quickest.  I also put it down next to location,
as it seemed to fit best there, as well as when kfilereplace, etc adds their
extra icons, it doesn't move the location of this widget.

You'll notice that currently I only put the image browser (gwenview) and
kfilereplace as the "extra" views, but this layout would work fine with
really a infinite amount of extra views, including say kaffeine and cervisia,
to name a view.  The dropdown also keeps picking out those extra views
easier.  With the current icons, the only way to know one of the icons is a
view is to mouse over it (there is no drop down like their is with other
views).

Well, enough talking about it, so what do you all think.  I've attached 3
images to this email (which I hope work with the mailing list, if not, I will
host them on my webserver if need be).  The first image is the before layout,
showing the 5 icons on the toolbar, with 2 of them having dropdowns.  The
second image is the combobox without the options visible, and the third is
the combobox with the options visable.  What do you all think?

http://techniq.ocia.net/kde-usability/konq-before1.jpg
http://techniq.ocia.net/kde-usability/konq-idea.jpg
http://techniq.ocia.net/kde-usability/konq-idea-menu.jpg

--BTW, I originally sent this yesterday with the images as attachments, so if
the moderator is reading this, feel free to delete that email (its pending).
--
Sean Lynch