List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Tree widget decoration
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-05-08 17:09:23

>From: tina trillitzsch <t.trillitzsch@gmx.de>
>Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 17:03:01 +0000
>
>Am Fri, 7 May 2004 17:12:51 -0300
>schrieb Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <gustavo@gsbarbieri.sytes.net>:
>
> > Em Friday 07 May 2004 06:47, Florian Graessle escreveu:
> > > Besides in my opinion a "right" arrow is not as contrary to a
> > > "down" arrow as "plus" is to "minus".
> >
> > They are not contrary, but they represent something is folded (>)
> > and something is unfolded down this point (V). Gnome even had an
> > animation which I found really cool.
>
>Yes, of course, you may like it that way, but this is about usability, not
>coolness. It's simply illogical. Who would know that > ist contrary to v
>(down) if they had no pc experience whatsoever? Plus and minus are
>a lot clearer, and anybody who had math in elementary school can
>understand at first sight that they are contrary to each other.

The larger advantage of plus and minus is that they are representative of
their action. Clicking on a plus button adds to the view, expands the view,
etcetera. Clicking on a minus has the reverse action, reducing the view,
hiding entries. An arrow pointing towards an entry has no indication of what
it will do. Someone familiar with tree views will know what it does.
However, to someone unfamiliar with computers, the arrow pointing at an
entry would more seem an indicator of importance or something along those
lines, rather than a button of any sort.