List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Tree widget decoration
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-05-07 20:11:54

>From: Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <gustavo@gsbarbieri.sytes.net>
>Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 17:08:12 -0300
>
>Em Friday 07 May 2004 09:22, Florian Graessle escreveu:
> > That's what the tree widget looks like with several directories
> > unfolded:
> > http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~soma/bldr/treeWidget.png
>
>I don't think so.
>
>I asked around and people find it cleaner.
>
>I may be wrong, but MacOS-X and WinXP doesn't have those lines anymore...
>are
>they all wrong?

Apple and Microsoft care about marketability, not usability. If it looks
better and gives a better first impression, it is more marketable.

The majority of the time, the lines are not needed. However, when they are
needed, they are needed. There is no doubt that having the lines gone is
'cleaner', but that isn't the only issue. In complex directories, those
lines can have value. It's a trade-off between looks and usability.

Personally, I think that the faded solid lines are the best option, as they
still provide the lines but aren't so ugly as the dotted lines.