List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Drag and Drop Up-One-Level
From:       Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <gustavo () gsbarbieri ! sytes ! net>
Date:       2004-05-07 19:44:01

Em Friday 07 May 2004 10:31, Stian Søiland escreveu:
> On 2004-05-07 07:40:08, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> > I don't know why hard link doesn't catch up... they have some
> > limitations, sure, but some strenghs too! They never get broken :) Maybe
> > if it just appears where it can be applied, it will work.
>
> As long as linked file has some indication on the icon so you understand
> it is not the only place the file exist.

Maybe. But I don't think we need. No other unix tool differentiate hard link
and common files, since it's really a file, not just a pointer to one. It
never get broken:

	echo text > file
	ln file other-name
	rm file  # other-name still there and working
	ln other-name file
	rm other-name # file still there and working

I use it to avoid deleting important files... just create an Important Docs
and then hard link the file to there. Even if you mis-delete in other place,
it will still be there.

> (therefor, if you have created two dirs, with hard-linked
> files, it could be possible to see that files in both dirs are
> hardlinked - and therefore that they MIGHT be the same files - avoiding
> editing a file that should have been a copy)

???

> However, hardlinking is an 'advanced' feature that should be forcibly
> turned on, as it might be hard to understand at first. (And might
> confuse people who think it's a quick way to make backups (it's fast!))

People doesn't use hardlinks since windows doesn't have it... People use
symbolic link since the internet is full of links...

But hard link IS a USEFUL UNIX utility. If symbolic was to be more important,
it wouldn't be an option to the "ln" command.

AND, konqueror as a File Manager should provide every possible way to manage
files. If the problem is instructing users, put it in the docs, KTips and
tooltips.
	It's really strange you can zip, encrypt and do thousand of
non-file-management stuff using konqueror but cannot create a simple
hardlink.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri