List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Drag and Drop Up-One-Level
From:       Stian =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8iland?= <stian () soiland ! no>
Date:       2004-05-06 22:41:52

On 2004-05-05 16:45:48, Florian Graessle wrote:

> Apart from that users would have to remember the locations they had been
> browsing in order to use the "drop to left/right navigation" feature.
> Looking for the appropriate drop target in the navigation history just
> to see it isn't there and finally having to use the "normal way" to copy
> files may be very annoying and frustrating.

I think I COULD find the targeting to "back" or "forward" useful.

Often, when rearranging files, I have several deep structures, within
directories with 10-15 entries. Moving back and forward is a mess, and
forces the use of cut/copy/paste.

One use case:

    0. Run some program (say a latex compiling)
    1. Does not work.. some file is missing in
       some/dir/far/deeper/than/imagined
    2. Open some/dir/far/deeper/than/imagined
       (for instance by pasting the path to the location bar)
    3. Find out - the file blapp.png is missing
    4. Use the up-arrow and go directly to some/dir from the popup
    5. Walk to some/dir/other/way/around/resources
    6. Locate the missing file.
    7. Drag the file to "Back"-button - hover it for 200ms
    8. A list popups under the button:
       <Drag file to location:>
       some/dir/other/way/around
       some/dir/other/way
       some/dir/other
       some/dir
       some/dir/far/deeper/than/imagined
    9. Drop the file on the last entry
   10. Run the program again.

Doing this in a tree view would be almost impossible if some/dir and it's
children have lots of subdirectories.

The only alternative would be cut-and-paste, or to open up a new window.
Both are cumbersome. The cut-and-paste is nice, but it does not fit well
with the visual object-oriented world of dragging and dropping.

I really liked the idea of dropping things on the printer, btw! Dropping
files on program applications works, so why not onto location icons?

The thing that is important is to make it clear for the user what is
happening (showing some popup/markings), and giving him the choice
(using the same technique as when just click-and-hold over the buttons
to show more entries)

This usecase could be made simpler if the task was to move things
straight to some/dir - by dragging the file to the "Up"-button instead.

--
Stian Søiland               Work toward win-win situation. Win-lose
Trondheim, Norway           is where you win and the other lose.