List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Drag and Drop Up-One-Level
From:       Florian Graessle <flograessle () uni ! de>
Date:       2004-05-06 13:35:29

On Wed, 05 May 2004 16:59:00 -0400
"Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, I've read that original comment many times, and I do not even slightly
> see how it is right. It makes no sense. Why would we not implement being
> able drop a file up one level because that only add dropping up one level?
> It adds dropping up one level, which currently isn't there. What is wrong
> with this? The Up arrow represents the directory that is up one level, so
> you can drop to it.

In my opinion managing a filesystem should be kept as simple and consitent as
possible.

- Dragging&Dropping (d&d) "Up" is a somewhat oneway direction only. The path
leads up. There's no chance to reach different subfolders in the upper folders.
That's bad, because maybe there's a better location to drop the file/folder into
- the way users are navigating through folders isn't determined at all. So the
final outcome of copying/moving files using the "up" button may be different
from the way the user "normally" organizes files.

- Do we, no - does the average user really need yet another (though restricted)
way to konquer his files/folders? Yet another decision to make: "Is it
faster/better for me to use the toolbar d&d way or the normal way? Am I in the
situation to use the toolbar way? I went up several levels, I changed my
mind and want to put the file into a "side folder" there. What am I supposed to
do now?" Bear in mind: Often less is more.

> What is wrong with allowing someone to drop a file in an  icon which
> represents their home directory? Seriously, what's wrong with it?

I didn't say anything about d&d to Home not being right - in the contrary I do
think it is the only adequat toolbar target for d&d. Yet it may become
irritating and confusing to link (this is an option available in the
present d&d pop-up window) a folder to home. Does it mean to make a link within
the home folder or does it mean linking the toolbar button "Home" to the dragged
folder - as it used to be with urls in some popular internet browsers? This is
predestined for misinterpration.

I think implementing a d&d to the toolbar option does more harm to the average
users than it might be good for powerusers who shouldn't be the main target
when talking about usabilty.

Florian