List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kfind micro patch
From:       Luke Sandell <sandell () freeshell ! org>
Date:       2004-04-28 19:58:15

On Wednesday 28 April 2004 06:13 pm, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
> >From: "Luke Sandell" <sandell@freeshell.org>
> >Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:54:26 -0400 (EDT)
> >

> Actually, no. The location bar in Konqueror automatically escapes those for
> you. So, when I make a directory '/home/jame/dir?name' and then type
> 'file:/home/jame/dir?name' in the location bar, it will open the directory
> in Konqueror.

But the question is _should_ it? It doesn't for http URLs, so why have a
double standard?  Using a ? in a file name is exceedingly dumb. Almost as
dumb as an * or a /. So I don't see why Konqueror should disallow queries on
file URLs just because of that character.

In other news, I created a file named "?file?" in my home directory, and then
opened my home with konqueror. It froze. I tried it again and it froze -
again!

I don't even know why we're discussing this on kde-usability. I brought it up
because it was a random musing I had, but I had no idea it would get this
magnitude of response. At any rate, I thought it would be cool to tell my
hacker friends (assuming, of course, that I will some day acquire friends)
that "hey, I can search for files under KDE with a query string in my file:/
URL!"

Sincerely,
Luke Sandell

The "/." contained above is purely coincidental. It is by no means an
endorsement of any company or website.