List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kicker's show desktop button - what exactly should that do?
From:       Luke Sandell <sandell () freeshell ! org>
Date:       2004-04-23 12:34:31

"Bugs" 67406 and 60480 are diametrically opposed.  The main problem is that
the button is not consistant.  In fact, I have observed both behaviors today.
However, I do not know the circumstances under which each behavior is
exhibited.

An two-way desktop button will suffer from the following dilemma: when a
window is manually opened or restore by the user, the button no longer
reflects the state of the desktop.  You have three choices in solving this
dilemma, none of which will satisfy everyone all the time.

1. You can simply undepress the button and forget all the saved positions of
the windows minimized by the button.  The problem with this solution is that
the user can no longer restore the windows that were previously minimized
(60480).

2. You can undepress the button and restore all the windows you minimized when
the button was depressed.  The problem with this solution is that it is
pretty annoying to have all your windows pop back up just because you created
or restored one window (67406).

3. The third would be to do nothing and simply leave the button in its current
depressed state.  The problem with this solution, as noted above, is that it
no longer reflects the current state of the desktop.  In addition, if the
user wants to show the desktop again, undepress and then depress the button.

Whatever you choose (I prefer #2) must be consistant.  Currently it is not.
Maybe the final solution will be the user to configure it, but this might
just make it more confusing.

Good luck with the quandry,

Luke Sandell