List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: View modes in konqueror
From:       Richard Fish <rjf () fishcode ! org>
Date:       2004-04-19 19:03:32

Leo Savernik wrote:

>And I repeat, the noob will never get the idea that there is a drop down menu,
>so for him, it's only two view modes that are readily and easily available (I
>remotely remember that even Wind*ws Explorer has two distinct buttons).

While I don't consider myself to be a noob, I do spend _far_ too much
time working in XP, which FYI has only one button for the view.  And
because I spend so much time in both XP and KDE, I frequently get
confused about *which* of the two buttons I need to click and hold to
bring up the view I want.  I might be able to get used to it in time though.

However, having two buttons is inconsistent with the view menu.  The
"View Mode" menu makes no visible distinction between an "icon" and a
"list" view.  This inconsistency is enough to convince me that the modes
should be combined under a single button.

>Additionally, konqueror remembers the selected view mode for directories.
>Therefore, most of the time it is really only a matter between switching the
>Icon View part and the List View part, and both will automagically do "the
>right thing".
>
>The way it currently is, I nearly never (at least I cannot remember when I did
>it last) need the drop down menus at all, but I need switching between list
>view and icon view quite frequently.

Maybe there should be some keyboard shortcuts for rotating or activating
specific views?  Would that satisfy your need to switch between
icon/list views frequently?  Does anybody have any keys left for more
shortcuts? ;->