List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: View modes in konqueror
From:       Tom Chance <lists () tomchance ! org ! uk>
Date:       2004-04-19 14:05:52

On Monday 19 Apr 2004 15:07, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Montag 19 April 2004 15:42 schrieb Christoph Niemann:
> > On a related note: There are two (or even three) toolbar buttons for the
> > view modes: One features the two modes 'Icon View' and 'Multicolumn
>
> List View is an own kpart, and Icon View is an own kpart. Afaik it's
> impossible for kparts to share toolbar buttons.
>
> Generally, I don't consider the current situation complicated. If all seven
> view modes would be toolbar buttons of their own, yes, *then* it would be
> complicated. But the way it is, the casual user can switch between icon
> view and list view (and doesn't even have to bother about the drop down
> menu), while the power user can switch to fancier modes at will.

I disagree, and I think Christoph was correct in isolating this as a problem.
There may be a technical distinction, but to the user there is no logical
difference between the kpart view modes and the other view modes. All view
modes ought to be in one drop-down toolbar button, even if it needs some
rehacking of toolbar buttons re:kparts.

Regards,
Tom