List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Always about icon preview
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () virgilio ! it>
Date:       2004-04-02 13:36:46

On Friday 02 April 2004 11:14, Davide Ferrari wrote:
> Now that images previews are corrected and all thumbnails got the same
> size, there still a "placement issue" in my opinion. Long filenames.
>
> It's really ugly to see different heights for every icon row. Should we
> cut down the file name to a standard lenght (only in visualization,
> obviously), while showing it all in the tooltip? or do you think there
> could be better solutions?

No, please. I don't know about ugly, but a filemanager where you don't
see the file names (and thus you can't distinguish files) is pretty
much useless.
You don't want to guess which file is the one you want, and wait for the
tooltip to appear.
I used to hate the "short view" file requester mode for pretty much
this issue (I'm still uncomfortable with it, since it scrolls horizontally,
but at least most of the times the file names fit.)

I have no "solution" however, more like some workaround or tradeoff:
 - More space could be statically reserved for the file name. I find the current
   value to be a bit small anyway. That's my opinion, however, and I'm sure
   others disagree.
 - Filename space (and maybe font) could be a function of the magnification.
 - Space could be reserved for the longest name once the directory scan
   has finished. But I suppose you want to avoid this.

Luciano