List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Cleaning up KDE: Konqueror-Toolbars and the Kicker
From:       Alexander Poslavsky <case () apollo ! lv>
Date:       2004-04-02 5:42:51

On Thursday 01 April 2004 04:49, Brian Chapman wrote:

> IMHO useabillity=consistancy. Changing the default toolbar buttons is not
> something that should be done often. This also applys to the look of the
> icon. Consistancy is key.

Most of us probably agree, on just about anything anybody says, that's why we
are on this list. It should be better, but removing functionality is not in
itself better. Consistancy is good. Microsoft tends to move all its stuff
around between their versions and we all know how anoying that is (I do tech
support, and after sb moves to eg XP they call a hundred times, where is
this, where is that?). I for one do not care about OSX-simplicity as well,
most power-users add all kind of extra programs to get what kde has from the
start. That is why we do not use gnome, it looks better (IMHO), but I miss
functionality.
Cleaning up Konqueror is the easiest of all cleanups. It has profiles, why not
add some extra profiles in the base-install?
OSX-clean-without-anything-profile and an I-want-all-the-buttons-profile, and
a couple of others, then make it a startup tip how to change profiles and
most users should be able to easily change to their favourite layout.