List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Cleaning up KDE: Konqueror-Toolbars and the Kicker
From:       Michael Thaler <michael.thaler () ph ! tum ! de>
Date:       2004-03-30 17:27:16

I followed the discussion about removing options from konqueror toolbar and I
have to admit that there are really some unnecessary options.

copy/cut/paste are accessible from the menu (they have to remain in the menu
because the menu entries show the shortcuts) and they are so common that
every user knows how to access them by key combinations sooner or later. I
think I never used copy/cut/paste from the main konqueror toolbar either.

Print and print frame are two other options that do not really belong to the
main konqueror toolbar. Printing is an slow operation so it is not necessary
to access it as quick as possible.

For other options it is harder to decide if they should go to the toolbar or
not. And this raises an important point: there is a lot of functionality that
users maybe want to access by toolbar. But currently it is hard for users to
know about some functionality. Actions can be added to toolbars using
configure toolbars. This is pretty simple but of the average user it is
probably often not clear what the action you can add, actually is. I think it
would be very nice if the configure toolbar dialog would show a short
description what the action actually does. For example, in the Konqueror
configure toolbars dialog you find the action "remove folder properties".
What does that actually do? It is not even clear to me what it is doing
ithout trying it out.

In my opinion, the KDE default toolbars should be as simple as possible, only
offering default actions that are really necessary, but it should be obvious
for users how to add more actions to the toolbars and what these actions are
doing.

Take care,
Michael