List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: Lightening up the XDG menu
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-03-27 18:38:50

>From: Frans Englich <frans.englich@telia.com>
>Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 19:13:08 +0100

>Volume Control
>Recording Level Monitor
>Sound Recorder
>GDM Configurator
>New Login
>New Login in Nested Window
>Configuration Tool
>Screensaver
>
>Similar, but listed so their counterparts are more clear.
>
>Text Editor(gedit)		KEdit/KWrite
>Eye of Gnome ImageView	KView
>gThumb Image Viewer		KView/Konqueror
>Terminal				Konsole
>GGV Phostscript viewer	kpdf/kghostview
>CD Player				kscd
>GNOME Control Center	Control Center(kcontrol)
>Floppy formatter		Floppy Formatter(kfloppy)
>Calculator				KCalc
>File Roller				Ark
>Hex Edit				khexedit
>System Monitor			KSysGuard, kdiskfree
>Dictionary				kdict
>Character Map			Character Selector
>
>One could of course object to all these, for example claiming that KEdit
>should also be  available in GNOME etc. and vice versa. Then one should
>perhaps consider what the implications are in the broader perspective and
>also ask if it is not ok if the desktop environments profile themselves by
>making these applications unique for themselves, thus choosing a desktop
>environment means choosing a set of applications(which it in practice
>already
>does).
>We should also not forget that some of these applications are surprisingly
>similar, and that some does not even work when not run in their native
>desktop environment.
>
>To the contrary I most likely have gone to far, or missed crucial
>applications, aspects or even major flaws in the idea itself. And that is
>why
>comments, suggestions and discussion over this idea is highly appreciated.

I think you're generally correct: something of the sort needs to be done.
However, it should only be done for apps which have flat-out replacements or
would break something or be useless. So, KEdit and KWrite could definitely
be cut, but Konqueror probably couldn't. However, Nautilus could (assuming
it still loads a desktop when it starts). Likewise, all the aRts tools could
be cut in GNOME. The smaller apps, such as Ark and KCalc should definitely
have this done. I'd avoid it with the larger apps which are distinctively
different.

Also, most of this is, in my opinion, the distribution's responsibiltiy. KDE
should focus on making a product and only give regard to what GNOME is doing
for the purposes of interoperabiltiy and sharing good ideas. Leave
organizing coexistence to packagers.