List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Usability study
From:       Mihnea Capraru <mihnea_capraru () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2004-03-26 19:26:28

On Friday 26 March 2004 15:14, Mihnea Capraru wrote:
> http://www.linux-usability.de/download/usabilityreport_kde3.2.0.pdf
> (german)

This sounds indeed interesting but is there a English version somewhere?

Haven't seen an english version anywhere until now, but I could try to
summarize it.

First their conclusions: they say kde usability has significantly improved
since 3.1, but that mistakes have also been done in trying to improve. They
further say that programmers can typically not understand the normal user's
view on usability, which is quite self-understood imho as programmers tend to
use programms more easily.

They have conducted tests on they don't say how many people and what kind of,
and reached to the following recommendations:
1. the kcontrol menu should come back to the main start menu, as it''s now
hidden deeply. it should be called "settings" and dwell under "all programs"
2. kfind should add the wildcard to search word by default, as lots of users
don't know what * happens to mean and they won't understand why they can't
locate "foo" while searching for "foo-bar"
3. further work should be done on toolbars, as icons are currently too
difficult to find, due to their number
4. there should't be more then 5-7 buttons/menu entries in a group :-)
5. rmb menu desktop configuration uses different wording as corresponding
kcontrol menus - they should be made consistent
6. the user should somehow be able to oversee search criteria in kfind
7. kontact components should be more closely integrated (menus and toolbars
made more consistent)
8. when adding an all-day event t korganizer, some small space on the upper or
lower edge should be left free such as the user can click it and add further
events that day
9. korganizer shouldn't use orange for icons, orange is generally perceived as
a warning sign
10. korganizer uses peculiar arrows to display some status info (event goes
further/ starts earlier), which users mistake for buttons
11.  korganizer's left panel takes up too much space. they estimate it to
probably take too much work to make it resizable, so they recommend putiing
some small arrow-like buttons on the separator to do the job of hiding/
showing, or some other similar idea
12. they say test users mistake kscd's progress bar for a volume control bar,
because it has that little "change volume" button at its left
13. when saving an image from a website, konqueror/save dialog should suggest
the file name taken from the page itself. otherwise the unknowing user will
give it a name without an extension, and then be unable to set it as
wallpaper, because it will be filtered out by "show *.xyz files".
(ok now it's really weird reading this. but using an image from a webpage as
wallpaper was one of their testcases.)
14. they complain about some things in german i18n as "Ueberwachung" for
monitoring, say it actually has negative meaning in german. this is actually
true (afaik, though i'm not a native german speaker and have never been to
germany), but probably also irrelevant.

I sent this link because I knew A. Seigo was looking for ways to collect data
and was surprised that a company did some work in this field. I really have
no idea what their motivation was nor can I tell how to actually see the
data :-). but maybe they are willing to submit it.