List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kdesu::slickness++
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2004-03-24 21:39:06

On Wednesday 24 March 2004 22:23, Simon Perreault wrote:
> Frans Englich wrote:
> > Because I'm not fine with a "make it configurable"-compromise when a
> > optimal solution can be reached.
>
> An optimal solution is more often than not a compromise.

Please spare me from drifting complexity philosophy...

> > Why do people object? Because they find this a security concern. The user
> > does not know what the root password is used for.
>
> Not necessarily. The only fact that a command is going to be run as root
> is enough for me to want to see it. I don't care if I know why it needs
> to be run. If it's going to be run as root, I want to see it.

<snip>
> Some people don't care. They just want to see the command because it's
> going to be run as root. Don't reason them. Maybe they're right, maybe
> they're administrating big ass servers with thousands of users.

So if people want bugs we should give it to them?

Simon, as you write, you still want to see the line even though it doesn't
tell something you already know or potentially contains false information.

Then I say it is my task as a developer of the software you are using, to
protect you from your own irrational behavior which not only hurts yourself
but also the very large majority of KDE's userbase. Similar to why MySql not
allows itself to be run as root.

			Frans