List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Directory Editor
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-03-20 5:17:54

>From: "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo@kde.org>
>Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 20:20:54 -0700
>
>On March 16, 2004 09:05, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
> > I want to be able to configure directories according to what they
>contain.
>
>and for directories with mixed content, or when you don't want that viewer
>interface?

My example had fairly strict requirements. The Image viewer example required
100% of files (not including directories, hidden files, and temporary files)
to be from the mime-type group Images.

The idea is that you have a list of potential directories it could match,
and then it would use the first one that suits.

>one way to accomplish all this would be to use konqi profiles and tie them
>mimetypes. then, when the mimetypes for a directory are discovered (during
>icon assignment), the profiles that match the mimetypes could be offered as
>options, much as the icon view, list view, etc are now.

I worry that Konqi profiles are overkill here. They let you do everything,
but how can you configure them without actually going into the window and
manually setting it up? It seems there are too many options to put into a
reasonable editor. Of course, if it supports an entire super-set of the
options needed, the editor could only support those ones, and the other
options could still be added by other means.

Also, doesn't icon assignment happen after opening the view? Would this
cause it to jump into a new display type, giving a weird flicker on opening
a directory? Or am I crazy?

>if there is only one mimetype in the directory then throw up the viewer.
>accessing subdirectories is still an issue, especially if the sidebar isn't
>there showing the currently browsed hierarchy.
>
>for directories that aren't user-writeable (the less common case, to be
>sure,
>but imaginable with things like CDs with both pictures and music on them),
>one may simply have to be happy with showing a "normal" view and letting
>the
>user switch on their own.

Why can this not work on read-only media? It only requires that KDE knows
what the mimetypes are and then decides how to show them.