List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: standardizing modes of text selection
From:       "Maxim Maletsky" <lists () maxim ! cx>
Date:       2004-03-18 13:41:44

Leo Savernik writes:

> Hello,
>
> Time that I pollute this list, too ;-)
>
> All KDE applications should support standard modes of text selection (with
> text I mean text and embedded objects). I therefore propose to support the
> following modes and how they should behave:
>
> Click: The old selection is cleared, no text is selected. Dragging extends the
> new selection by characters.
>
> Doubleclick: The old selection is cleared, and the current word is selected.
> Dragging extends the selection word by word.
>
> Tripleclick: The old selection is cleared, and the current line is selected.
> Dragging extends the selection line by line.
>
> Using Shift with any of the above buttons will extend the end of the current
> selection to the point of the new selection instead of deleting it.
>
> I derived this behaviour from OpenOffice.org, which implements it.
>
> Here are my finding of to what degree various kde applications already
> implement this proposal (tested under KDE 3.2):
>
> - - Konsole: The only KDE application which supports all three modes (except
> extending with Shift)
> - - Konqueror: khtml only supports single and doubleclick, but cannot extend the
> selection word wise. Tripleclick will select the whole paragraph, not the
> whole line. Shift works only for single clicks.
> - - Kate: click and drag is fully supported. doubleclick will select the word
> under the pointer, but it does not extend the selection word by word when
> dragging. Analogically, tripleclick selects the line, but doesn't extends it
> line-wise. Shift only works for single clicks.
> - - KWord: click and drag as well as doubleclick and drag are fully supported.
> The selection is extended by character/word resp. Tripleclick will select the
> whole paragraph, not the whole line. Shift only works for single clicks.
>
> The rationale behind this proposal is consistency, and ease of use. First of
> all, more clicks mean an advance to the next higher "level": character ->
> word -> line. Making not only the mode apply on the initiation, but also
> furthermore on the extension of the selection, contributes further to
> consistency.
>
> Why do some applications select the paragraph instead of the line for triple
> clicks? I cannot tell it for KWord, but for khtml it was impossible to
> determine the boundaries of a line before KDE 3.2, yet it was very easy to
> determine the paragraph boundaries. However, khtml now *does* have a notion
> of a line, therefore there's no technical cause not to support the proposal.
>
> What do you think about it?

I do also perfectly agree on standarizing this. Besides being more usable
and consistent it also creates a more stable "feeling" of one's workflow.

Also (a bit off topic) what about the copy/paste behaviours? I did not do
any testing of it but have noticed that sometimes copy/paste acts funny like
being able to paste here but not there, or allow you CTRL+V but not show the
PASTE in right-click menu...