List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Run as...
From:       "Karel Nijs" <karel () karelnijs ! be>
Date:       2004-03-16 9:58:22

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:45:16 -0500
From: Luke Sandell <sandell@freeshell.org>
To: kde-usability@mail.kde.org

On Monday 15 March 2004 09:47 am, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
>> You're contradicting yourself a bit. You don't want to have separate
>> look'n'feel for root apps and simultanously asking for that.

>With all due respect, I'm not contradicting myself. Let me clarify. When I
run
>kfm as root, I want to have the same icons, fonts, toolbars, view profiles,
>and widget styles as I have running under my own profile. That's because I
>run as root ***soley to get root permisions***. The only difference I might
>want is a *small marker* telling me I am running as root so that I don't
get
>it confused with another kfm window. I am not asking this not so much for
>myself as for **enhancing the security of KDE** in general.

Indeed, when i'm running KDE as root, i've also set my complete background
with a red picture of some other red combination.  I'm not often running KDE
as root, but sometimes p.e. with problems with CUPS and you have to
download, copy and install much files, it comes in handy when you just able
to do all these things with KDE when you're logged in as a regular user.
You should be able to save file with your browser in a directory where only
root waves the flag.
How this should be done?
We could make some sort of layer where the browser doesn't know from and
when you're saving to a directory with root-only priveliges, instead of the
error message "you don't have rights..." when can pop up a dialog for kfm