List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Run as...
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2004-03-15 14:47:00

Dnia Monday 15 of March 2004 09:05, Luke Sandell napisał:
> On Wednesday 10 March 2004 05:17 pm, Dik Takken wrote:
> > So, any objections anyone?
>
> 1a. You must consider that the superuser usually isn't listed by KDM
> because the sysadmin doesn't want to log into the desktop as root.
>
> 1b. Not everybody uses KDM.
>
> 2. How often do people want to run programs as an arbitrary user?  The
> only other user I ever want to use is root.
>
> 3a. This is something that's been on my mind for awhile. When I use kdesu
> to run a KDE program as root, two bad things happen. The first is that
> another instance of kdeinit and associated bloat is loaded for the root
> user. The second is that the program takes on the look and feel as
> configured by the root user. Since I do not log into KDE as root and
> change the settings, this just leads to inconsistancy with my current
> GUI. Is there we could implement running a program with root file
> permissions but still using the current user's config files? Isn't this
> the difference between UID and effective UID?
>
> 3b. If root programs are to retain the look and feel of the calling user,
> we need some way to "alert" the user that they are indeed running as
> root. For example, I would be a little more cautious in kfm if I knew I
> was running as root. Perhaps a red window border would suffice? And maybe
> a <root> added to the title bar.

You're contradicting yourself a bit. You don't want to have separate
look'n'feel for root apps and simultanously asking for that.

What would be useful IMO: RootThemes. Default themes but in shades of
red. Similar to Mdk handling of Root GUI apps.

m.

Learn Touch Typing with Vim? Oui. Ja. Yes. Tak:
  http://vim.sourceforge.net/script.php?script_id=461
vim.pl - http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/