List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Multi-toggle toolbar button
From:       "Friedrich W. H.  Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2004-03-11 9:56:38

Am Mittwoch, 10. März 2004 17:43 schrieb Luciano Montanaro:
> On Wednesday 10 March 2004 17:22, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > simple and clean are not synonymous with usable =) i don't think we
> > should chase after the former without considering the distinctions as we
> > go.
> >
> > > Am I correct when I say that KDE does not have any such a widget?
> >
> > that's correct, though it wouldn't be hard to make such a thing.
>
> It is not exactly like the sodipodi toolbutton, but the functional
> equivalent is present in kde: the Konqueror view toolbuttons
> (mine are next to the zoom icons, when using konqueror in file managing
> mode), for example, are quite similar to those of sodipodi, but have an
> additional text label, and a small triangle to mark them as menu buttons.

What would be nice is if such multitoggle buttons would be so smart to detect
the space available on the toolbar and if doable show all buttons aligned in
the toolbar instead (have a look for a screenshot of safari to see what I
mean).
In ASCII art:

  [ X | Y |_Z_| A ]

This would remove the hide and multi-click problem when possible. Only
negative: adds some clutter to the toolbar.

Yes, this is a power user's request. Expect more use-only-space-available
features* in the upcoming toolets framework (first show delayed to may, sigh)
:)

* of course configurable

Friedrich