List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kcontrol prototype ready: list of concepts with multiple
From:       Christoph Niemann <cnieman () suse ! de>
Date:       2004-03-02 10:46:56

On Wednesday 25 February 2004 16:20, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> As promised, a prototype for a redesign of the kde control center is ready
> at
>
>     http://segusoland.sourceforge.net
>
> Essentially, the panel called "concept index" (see screenshots) allows you
> to reach the option you want by any name you could possibly think. So you
> can click "mouse" and "kde" and you see all KDE configuration options
> relative to the mouse (speed, theme, clicking behavior...).
>
> The indecidability problem (see below) is solved. Of course, an additional
> method should be offered for browsing.
>
> If kcontrol offered a simple command line to invoke specific modules, I
> could even actually call them in my app. For example
>
> kcontrol --mouse
>
> Unfortunately, kcontrol --help doesn't seem to offer such options...

I do like the idea of a goal driven concept. However, I see one major
obstacle: Where do you get the concept list from? As you say on your website
"the list must contain any possible concept, with any possible wording. This
is crucial.". Then you take "Good songs by Tracy Chapman" as an example. In
short, how do we get the list (tm)? We would either need to compile it by
hand (error-prone, doesn't hold _every_ possible wording by definition) or
need to genereate it in some automated way by using huge amounts of (not yet
existent) metadata such as ID3 tags.

Do not get me wrong, I do like your idea, but I see some problems with the
concept list.

Greetings,
Christoph