List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kfind issues
From:       Dik Takken <D.H.J.Takken () phys ! uu ! nl>
Date:       2004-03-01 12:48:19

> >user.

> My suggestion was that the 'Basic' Search support searching by directory
> location in filenames, metadata, and full-text with the search line not
> calling for the words to be in any particular order. However, it wouldn't
> have support for searching with regular expressions or picture matches. The
> main reason is that they would need a picture handy to use the picture
> matching. That's most of the a natural options.

Agreed. Are you suggesting that the query should still be entered by
typing words in  a text field? That would result in complex search
strings, like

"type:kword author:Jack contains:'KDE is Cool'"

> The reason I don't want to include the number of pages or image size is that
> all those options are specific to one file-type. Possibly add a combo-box
> for what type of file they want to search for (Document, Image, Video,
> Music, etc...) and give that some options based on context (# of pages,
> image size, song length, etc...)?

Yes, that's a good idea. Maybe we should put some big icons for the most
used file types on the frontpage: "Search for document", "Search for
Picture", "Search for Music", and so on. For the people looking for other
things, there should be a 'Other' combo box containing all filetypes.

> The difficult issue there is making certain the users don't have too many
> options, because that makes the search tools slower to use, and it is
> important for the search tool to be swiftly available.

Agreed. After selecting the filetype, users get some widgets where they
can give more things they remember about the file. These widgets should be
filetype specific.

Cheers,

Dik