List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Pausing with KIO
From:       Luke Sandell <sandell () freeshell ! org>
Date:       2004-02-27 19:45:26

On Thursday 26 February 2004 11:21 am, Tom Chance wrote:

> Both no-brainers - of course they should be implemented :)

Unfortunately, the implementation is not a no-brainer. I can't think of an
easy way to implement the first idea.  KIO::Job has no pause/resume function
because resuming is handled transparently with KIO::SlaveBase::canResume().

Of course, it could be done by actually killing the job and leaving the dialog
open, and then spawning a new job when "resume" is pressed, but that would be
a really messy hack on UIServer to convince it to assign the same id to a new
job and suppress the normal "Resume" dialog. Plus it is possible that not all
protocols are resumable, so the user could be disappointed. I think the best
thing would be to add the methods canPause(), pause(), unpause() to KIO::Job
and corresponding parts to KIO::SlaveBase. But what do I know?

Luke Sandell