List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Some prelimary work on a new KControl...
From:       Sander Devrieze <s.devrieze () pandora ! be>
Date:       2004-02-26 22:12:43

Op donderdag 26 februari 2004 18:03, schreef Dik Takken:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> > On Thursday 26 February 2004 13:55, Dik Takken wrote:
> > > I think segusoLand is GREAT. The idea behind it is weird,
> > > revolutionary and plain fantastic. I will give you a bit more feedback
> > > about it later.
>
> Allright, here is your feedback:
>
> I have read your tutorial and have taken a look at the screenshots.
> The idea is great, and I think it's especially great for providing an
> intuitive user interface for unexperienced computer users. These users
> are typically facing questions like:
>
> "I want to print this PDF file. Should I open Konqueror, find it, and
> open it? Or should I load a PDF viewer and open it from there? Which of
> these programs can actually read and print PDF files? Which should I
> choose?"
>
> With your solution, these questions are all answered automatically. On
> the other hand, the interface looks quite complex and may scare many
> unexperienced computer users. So, here is my question: What type of user
> are you aiming at?
>
> How about using your framework to also create a simpler wizard-style
> version? Interactively guide the user through, step by step. The first
> step could be to ask the user:
>
> I want to:
>
> - Use my ... (dropdown menu containing printer, scanner, etc.)
> - Do something with this file: (Browse)
> - Use this program: (Dropdown menu)
>
> In the drop-down menu's, the most used item should be on top.
>
> When the user chooses 'Do something with this file: ...', the next step
> would be to choose what to do, depending on the type of file:
>
> I want to:
>
> - Listen to this MP3 file
> - Edit this MP3 file
> - Burn this MP3 file on a Audio CD
> - Convert it to ... (dropdown menu)
> - E-Mail it to (contacts dropdown, or search-as-you-type)
> - View more information about this MP3 file
>
> All these options should have nice big icons next to them for easy
> identification. Maybe also sort these options according to usage frequency.
>
> On the wizard form, you could always display the user's choice in big,
> clear words. In the beginning, it says "I want to do something." After
> the first question, it reads "I want to do something with this MP3 file",
> with a big filetype-dependent icon next to it and the filename. When the
> user has finished the wizard, it might read something like:
>
> "I want to convert this MP3 file to Wave Format."
>
> or
>
> "I want to send this picture to John's E-Mail."
>
> with a big "Go" button next to it.
>

> Dreaming about the future, users might be able to directly type a sentence
> that describes what they want to do.

An additional idea: People will see a text box where they can type in their
action (e.g.: I want to send the file with the name X that's on my desktop to
someone@somewhere). Maybe this sounds not useful for the user, it would be a
good basis to add (by combining with another tool) very usefull speech
recognition into KDE.

- --
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.

JabberID: sander@vosberg.be -- ( http://jabber.vosberg.be/ )