List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: kde-usability Digest, Vol 11, Issue 65
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-02-26 16:50:14

>    3. Re: Some prelimary work on a new KControl... (Davide Ferrari)

>Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:33:06 +0100
>From: Sander Devrieze <s.devrieze@pandora.be>
>
>Op woensdag 25 februari 2004 20:26, schreef Jamethiel Knorth:
> > >Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:52:15 -0500
> > >From: Sashmit Bhaduri <smt@inbox.lv>

> > >It

> > >I think one good compromise would be to instead of text in the top
>(like
> > >Peripherals -> Mouse) being simple text, they could be a URL label that
> > >jumps
> > >back to the category (instead of toplevel)
> >
> > I was about to recommend this. If this is done, it might be better to
>show
> > the entire hierarchy. Right now, 'Index' disappears when in a module.
>Not
> > sure if that matters.
> >
> > Also, it would be useful if there were also a history there. Put one of
>the
> > little drop-down indication triangles at the right end of that bar, and
> > show a module history when it is clicked. Most likely restrict the
>history
> > to actual modules, or it might get littered with searches. Also, sort
>the
> > 'history' according to most used and restrict it to around 10.
>
>This history functionaly can be also implemented like the Konqueror
>sidebar.
>
>Possible panels for in the KControl sidebar:
>* history
>* help
>* modules tree
>* Bookmarks (could be intresting if you install KDE on the computer of your
>grandmum: in that case you can bookmark the modules that she will need to
>use)
>* network (can be useful for a not yet existing feature in KControl:
>changing
>KDE settings on other computers in the network where the user has an
>account
>on)
>
><snip>

I agree with the sidebar idea, but still would like the history along the
top. Despite that:

Adding a sidebar like the Universal Sidebar is an excellent idea. It removes
one of the problems of the currently hideable sidebar, because it retains an
icon showing what is available, even when hidden. This means it is okay to
have it retain its opened/closed state between sessions in kcontrol. The
current hideable panel might never be found again if it is left hidden, as
there is basically no indicator of its existence.

Also, the vertical icons list allows for a great many options to be
available.

- Help

- History

- Related Modules
(Include modules from the same level of the tree and ones that have several
of the same keywords?)

(Start a new search query, entirely in the sidebar?)

- Browse
(Show the tree of modules?)

Of course, if that many options are available, it might lose usefulness due
to having too many options. I'm just throwing out ideas. Even without that
many options, it should be used, if only for the 'Always There' element.