List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Some prelimary work on a new KControl...
From:       Tom Chance <lists () tomchance ! org ! uk>
Date:       2004-02-26 12:56:52

On Thursday 26 Feb 2004 12:55, Dik Takken wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> > On Thursday 26 February 2004 13:28, Dik Takken wrote:
> > > I do think that it is very important to have searching as the primary
> > > method. The reason is that icons act as magnets on new users. As soon
> > > as a new users sees cathegorized icons, they don't care about the
> > > search method anymore. Even when the search method is actually easier
> > > for new users.
> >
> > Ah, no! You can have icons in searching too. You are assuming a kind of
> > searching based on typing, which is not necessary. You can implement
> > searching based on clicking, as I described in my earlier post (a flat
> > panel with multiselection, alphabetically ordered, containing all
> > possible names of things). I already implemented this in segusoLand. Give
> > it a try. You can already configure mouse and keyboard with it. it
> > invokes kcmshell.
>
> I think segusoLand is GREAT. The idea behind it is weird,
> revolutionary and plain fantastic. I will give you a bit more feedback
> about it later.
>
> BUT, I think there are two reasons why it can't be used for
> KControl.
>
> * It looks scary as hell. Really new users that are a bit afraid to use
> computers (and I know some of those users quite well) will not want to
> touch it. You are throwing too much icons and stuff at your user.
>
> * The biggest problem is, I think, that it's too weird and too
> revolutionary to be accepted as *the* solution for KControl in KDE 4. I
> fear that you will have to prove your concept as a new way to use
> applications, files and devices. As soon as your idea has taken over the
> KDE world, it might be accepted as kcontrol solution as well.

To add to those two reasons, it's unwieldy when you know what you want to do.
segusoLand would only prove useful to me as a kind of graphical apropos
application, helping me work out what app I need to use for a particular
operation. It would be an interesting addition to KDE, but until someone can
give a reason why it is any more efficient or intuitive than the combination
of kmenu, kicker launch icons, ALT+F2 and the shell, I wouldn't want to see
it *replacing* KDE components like KControl.

Tom