List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Some prelimary work on a new KControl...
From:       Dik Takken <D.H.J.Takken () phys ! uu ! nl>
Date:       2004-02-26 12:28:02

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Maurizio Colucci wrote:

> > I agree with this, I think the "Google approach" with two tabs is not a
> > bad idea at all. It worked for google.. :)
>
> You have a point here. People nowadays are accostumed to searching (with
> google et al). We should not be afraid to make searching the PRIMARY way to
> navigate in the control center. If not the only one.

I don't think searching should be the only one. Power users love browsing
the KCM's themselves. We should leave the choice to the user.

I do think that it is very important to have searching as the primary
method. The reason is that icons act as magnets on new users. As soon as
a new users sees cathegorized icons, they don't care about the search
method anymore. Even when the search method is actually easier for new
users.

Dik