List:       kde-usability
Subject:    all actions always in the menus ?
From:       Alexander Neundorf <neundorf () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-02-25 17:08:27

Hi,

the style guide says: "It is important that all possible actions be
available!"

I tried to make a very simple konqy xmlui file, in order to turn konqy from a
swiss-army knife into a very simple browser:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kfm-devel&m=107756568029050&w=2

Now this leads to the effect that many functions from konqueror are removed
from the menus (because they are not absolutely required for a simple
browser). Some actions (e.g. duplicate tab, close tab) were removed from the
menu as well, since they are quite obvious available via rmb from the tabs.
There is even an extra "close tab" button beside the tabs.

So should really *all* actions always be available in the menus ?
With xmlui we have the chance to create different GUIs for the same app, so
there should always be one GUI which offers everything in the menus, but for
modified/spezialized/simplified versions of the GUI IMO this shouldn't be a
100%-requirement. We would loose some of the freedom xmlui gives us.

I think until today we don't exploit the full power of xmlui enough for our
users.

Bye
Alex
--