List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Some prelimary work on a new KControl...
From:       Benoit Walter <b.walter () free ! fr>
Date:       2004-02-23 23:53:34

Yes, I start a new thread about kcontrol :-) This time with something more
concrete to discuss as I have created a prototype for a new kcontrol.

Here are the features, heavily inspired by the huge number of messages I read
on the list:
- Task oriented interface
- More useful search system (as seen in JuK, react on each keypress event)
- More visible help (+context help)
- Still using the current organisation (categories)
- Much improved navigation system
- No sub-windows

The main idea is to keep all that information in the screen (I would hate to
use a filebrower-like interface) but with a clean design that fits into a
640x480 window.

So I really encourage you to try it, it is in CVS:
kdenonbeta/kcontrol3

If you really do not want to try it now or do not know how to use CVS, here
are a few screenshots:
http://www.avenheim.online.fr/kcontrol3/index.png
http://www.avenheim.online.fr/kcontrol3/appearance.png
http://www.avenheim.online.fr/kcontrol3/search.png
http://www.avenheim.online.fr/kcontrol3/kcm_font.png

Things that are still missing:
- Better integration of the theme manager (kdenonbeta/kthememanager)
- Improved help system (show whatsthis, related tasks, +search?)
- And many details (saved geometry, menu, whatsthis...)

Greetings,
Benoit.