List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Shutdown dialog
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2004-02-21 21:37:35

On Thursday 19 February 2004 16:07, Benoit Walter wrote:
> I have been working on a new dialog. The current one uses radio buttons,
> which is rather confusing because the actions are not directly executed
> (double clicking on a radiobutton is not the standard way to do it...).
>
> My patch uses push buttons, instead. The keys sequences are the same as
> with the current dialog (including default selection), so there should not
> be any problem for users who prefer to close their eyes and ignore the new
> dialog :-)
>
> This dialog should be easier to use, especially for new users, because you
> can click directly on the action you want to perform. I have added a
> "Settings..." button, too, which launches the "Session Manager" KCM.
>
> I would really like to have some feedback before committing, so please give
> me your opinion (patch attached). Suggestions for a new design are welcome,
> too (.ui, mockups).
>
> Benoit.
>
> Screenshots:
> http://www.avenheim.online.fr/logout_new.png (proposal)
> http://www.avenheim.online.fr/logout_old.png (current version)

Argh.. I got this "ksmserver.diff" laying in kdebase, against 3.1.1(?) and
guess what it does...... I only got myself to blame :)

Anyway, I really like the stuff Benoit suggested, and the feedback which got
incorporated. I have further suggestions, which could be good to
ventilate(and someday I perhaps write a patch for):

* The logout window should have an border like all other windows; it behaves,
acts and is used like a regular window. Consistency. Allows another way of
closing the window.

* Usability wise, it is IMO hard to find a meaning of the Konqi picture(I'm
not reluctant to Konqi or other "non" corporate looks, I'm just pragmatic
when it comes to the usability aspect). It could be removed, reducing the
information density(especially those big, innocent eyes) and the buttons
could be lined up horizontally(we interpret faster and easier horizontally
than vertically), made bigger and with more spacing. This would require the
buttons to be turned into KIconViewItems(or similar).

* The only-logout dialog(maysd=false) should not have its own interface(it
should at least be a regular dialog!) but could actually use the regular
logout dialog by disabling the irrelevant options(consistency as well as
communicating what the user is not allowed to do).

* I would have called the items Logout, Shutdown, Restart, in that mentioned
order. In either way, the logout term used should be consistent with the one
used in the only-logout window(currently "Logout")..

Food for thought!

Cheers,

		Frans