List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Shutdown dialog
From:       Benoit Walter <b.walter () free ! fr>
Date:       2004-02-19 20:55:18

On Thursday 19 February 2004 21:00, Matthias Riesterer wrote:
> Yes, it's really nice. I think it's a good idea to change from radio
> buttons to real buttons, because it reduces the steps the user has to
> perform from two to one (besides he wants to perform the default action).
:-)

> At least some words about the labels of the buttons. I think the text
> should be kept as short as possible. So I suggest to label the buttons
> "Log out" or "End Session"
It is usually a good idea to have an explicit description of actions. Of
course it is better when the name is short, but it should be complete. As the
labels are already short, I don't really see a need for removing words.

> "Turn off"
turn off what? the confirmation dialog?

> "Restart"
computer or kde session?

> and
> "Cancel" (because the dialog is, as you already mentioned, a confirmation
> dialog).
That one I agree. That's the button you usually use when you don't know what
you are doing, so it is a good idea in case someone opens the dialog
accidently.

> The labels are self-explanatory, so you can omit "What do you want to do?".
> The user somehow initiated the log-out dialog, so he knows what it is all
> about. If it happend accidently, there is the cancel button.
Indeed.

> The same for "End Session for ...". I think, "Session" does not correspond
> with the actions "restart" and "turn off".
Whatever the action you choose your session will be ended.

> Instead, the left part of the dialog could just contain the user's name and
> his logo from KDM as a small recognition effect.
> As a result you get a cute little dialog :)
>
> So, that's it, my first post on kde-usability :) I'm reading the list now
> for a while and I'm really interested in it. I hope I'll find the time to
> participate more.
Yes, it's always nice to get some comments, thanks!