List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Redesigning control center: list of concepts with multiple
From:       Tom Chance <lists () tomchance ! org ! uk>
Date:       2004-02-13 0:34:29

On Friday 13 Feb 2004 00:07, Dik Takken wrote:
> > Basically, the current layout requires you to know what will be in a
> > section just by the section name.
>
> Agreed. I think you can fix this by reducing the number of sections down
> to a small number of clearly distinct sections.

I don't think that's true with KControl. there are simply too many modules to
make it possible for KControl to present all of them categorised into a few
sections whose meaning is clear and obvious.

One example Jamethiel gave was making the mouser pointer larger. Is that
something to do with appearance, behaviour, hardware, accessibility, or
something else? Potentially all of them.

IMO Jamethiel is working in the right direction by presenting both the
category system KControl already uses alongside the ability to search for the
option by keywords. It seems very similar to previous discussions on this
list to do with enhancing the search functionality, whilst avoiding the
problem of forcing the user to think of a good keyword to summarise what they
want to do.

Tom