List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Panel Arrangement KCM
From:       William Leese <william () leese ! nl>
Date:       2004-02-11 20:59:03

Aaron Seigo wrote:
>>- Any reason to keep taskbar as a seperate KCM? I don't want to crowd
>>the Panel menu.. but if K Menu is considered part of the panel KCM, then
>>surely the taskbar is too.
>
> separate code base, history and fear of tabs ;-) there's really no reason
> other than not wanting to clutter up the panel area with it... 5 tabs is too
> much... 4 is borderline =/

4 max. does sound reasonable as a guideline.

> this will really only matter in kcontrol since from kicker they will be all
> separated.
>
> i wouldn't be too adverse to a grouping of the Menus and Taskbar tabs into a
> kcm in kcontrol if we could come up with a good name for it

Heh.. "Menus & Taskbar"? No chance..

> ... i'm tempted
> to say "drop taskbar config from kcontrol altogether" but i'm not sure that
> would fly ...

Well, 'everything has to be configured from kcontrol' still seems to be
the general idea.

In anycase, the panels KCM doesn't make much sense with regard to which
kicker elements it allows you to configure (isn't the virtual desktop
applet part of the panel aswell?).

Why not split things into something like "Panels" (Arrangement, Hiding,
Appearance) and "Panel Applets & Buttons" / "Panel Elements" / "Panel
Applets" / <insert better name here> (K Menu, Taskbar, Multiple Desktops)?

   - William