List:       kde-usability
Subject:    KCM - troubleshoot
From:       Nilesh Bansal <nilesh () iitb ! ac ! in>
Date:       2004-02-11 18:53:00

Hi all!

I want to propose a idea that control center shold have a troubleshoot
module. I will first mention a few of my experinces(with linux newbies
using kde apps, mainly konqueror) because of which I want to propose
such a module.

1. One guy changed file association for directories and hence he was not
able to browse files in konqueror.
2. Changing default stylesheet in konqueror
3. Disabling menubar from a kde app(and then not knowing how to bring it
back)
and many more simmiliar things

Many newbies like to play with config(but they dont know how to undo
it). Somethime some app will not even launch because of this. I propose
that control center can have a module where it lists kde apps like
konqueror, kopete etc. When I select konqueror it gives me option
Reset all settings of konqueror
Reset all settings of konqueror(except for my bookmarks)
Reset all settings of konqueror(except for basic config like proxy settings)
etc...
that is to reset all *advanced settings* to defaults

In application like gaim this can be easily be done by rm -rf ~/.gaim
but for kde apps its a bit difficult(for a newbie)

Infact this concept applies to all product(like a mobile phone handset).
There are some advanced settings like SIM lock, Caller Groups and basic
setting like ringtone. Many new users are afraid of even trying to play
with these "advanced settings" as in most of the advanced cases they end
up in a mess. If there was a option like reset all settings except for
basic settings then it would have been very usefull for new users.

--
Nilesh Bansal
http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/nilesh/