List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: New KCM UserAccount replaces Email and UserInfo
From:       "Friedrich W. H.  Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2004-02-10 20:10:31

Am Dienstag, 10. Februar 2004 17:51 schrieb Sander Devrieze:
> Op dinsdag 10 februari 2004 15:20, schreef Friedrich W. H.  Kossebau:
> > Am Dienstag, 10. Februar 2004 14:41 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> > > /---------\

> > > |           |

> > > \_______/
> >
> > Is there already a global config key which hides such hints like "Click
> > the button on the left... To do this move your mouse which is that thing
> > with a cable near to your keyboard..."? These hints so helpful they may
> > be to starters are only visual noise once one has left the starter
> > status.
> >
> > Or could this be put into some popup which has the well known "Never ever
> > show again" entry?
> >
> > Please do not forget the advanced users :)
>
> I think mouseove text which is displayed in a square like also with
> WhatsThisHelp text will be better.

The problem with mouseover text (MOT)  is that you have to try each and every
element to get possible MOTs. So it is a better idea IMHO to have it already
readable like in the above example. My only problem is that it stays there
for everybody.

This sort of help is what seems to swap over from that XP os. It may have a
reason as people seem to be either to dump to press the help button or the
help text to be always out of sync or people are not able to transport the
meaning in the help text to the actual window. It may be nice for a start but
I would like to be able to remove/hide it once I learned how to use that
window. As it makes the window look more complex/cluttered. And aren't some
of us on their way to reduce complexity? ;)

Friedrich