List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KControl again...
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2004-02-09 1:24:47

On Sunday 08 February 2004 18:46, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > Also, the screenshots are a little
> > crammed because they are taken at the minimum size for the module, to
> > ensure they fit a 640x480 screen as the KDE page states that as the
> > official goal for all applications.
>
> i noticed. i'm pretty impressed by your thorough approach =)

Yeah, I can only agree. I had a quick glance at the website and.. Wow, there's
"quite" some work in that content.. And that's why I also give you two
cookies, if there's some other project which offers more cookies, please let
me know ;-)

> > >and am i right in figuring that not all of these UIs are for control
> > >panels,
> > >but some are for applications? i see work on both kalarm and kuser in
> > >there,
> > >both of which are VERY much in need of work, but neither of which are in
> > >kcontrol. nor should they ever be.
> >
> > I would argue that there should be an app similar to the Control Center
> > which is the Administration Center which would contain a great many apps,
> > and these would be modules for that. However, the designs are almost the
> > same anyway. If there is a specific reason that the programs need not be
> > in a grouping, please tell me and I will adjust my designs appropriately.
>
> ah... an Admin Center is an idea that has batted around a few times.
> personally, i think it's a good idea. ok... so some of your stuff is for
> KControl, some for the so-far fictional KAdminCenter

I also think KAC technology/framework needs to get started pretty soon before
too many admin apps pops up. It needs to be somewhat more heavy than KControl
- menus, toolbars etc.. The work you do when administrating demands a too
heavy GUI to be pressed into KControl(people tries, and it turns out.. in a
violent way). The technology for this is in large parts already there - KPart
etc, it "just" needs to be glued together.. Yeah, similar to KControl but
instead of KCMs it embeds KParts..
I guess this is best done at/with the kde-debian people..

> > I suspect I am a bit
> > too verbose, as most people find me to be that way in letters.
>
> haha.. you and i suffer from the same "disease" it seems ;-)

What the heck are you talking about?! Get away from me!

/me is still in the denial stage

:)

Cheers,

		Frans