List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: ui redesign for konqueror settings
From:       Dik Takken <D.H.J.Takken () phys ! uu ! nl>
Date:       2004-02-08 11:54:50

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Tom Karasek wrote:

> hi,
>
> this is my first post here. i've made a quick ui-redesign for the konqueror
> config (not following the standards - i simply did not think about it before)
> here: http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=10590 , because
> configuring this thing is really painful... ;-)

For new users, it's a very scary configuration jungle, yes. Many new users
don't want to touch it.

I really like your design, especially the front page. It looks very clear
and simple. It invites people to look around in stead of scaring them
away.

I think one of the main reasons why the front page is good is that
the widget-density is low and you use a lot of supporting graphics. This
way, the user can see where he needs to go in a blink of an eye. You
should follow the same approach for the other sub-configuration dialogs
that the average user is likely to touch. For example, for each tab
you could make a banner-like graphic that is on the top of the tab
area ahd gives each tab a distinct character.

More advanced settings should have higher widget-density, less icons.
Power users like to be able to reach their power-settings using as few
mouse clicks as possible.

Good work!

Cheers,

Dik