List:       kde-usability
Subject:    threads in kmail
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2004-02-06 19:40:07

(this is a copy of message I sent to kdepim-users)

Hello,

Few days ago I eventually visited IBM's site for Remail.
http://www.research.ibm.com/remail/

There are few new ideas (graphical representation of threads and folders
content) but I'd like to wrote about one thing - threads.

1.
Current implementation gives little feedback for user. Why not remove
root branch for all messages and add column for number of messages in
thread (like in mutt or slrn) and draw tree only for current thread, not
global for all messages in folder.

IMO it is better because gives information not only about existence of
thread but also about its longevity.

2.
Tooltips in Konqueror and KOrganizer are amazing. Why not introduce them
for threads in KMail (and KNode)?

I don't think IBM proposition of placing in tooltip 'line representing
message content' because:
	- how determine that line?
	- first - encourages top-posting which is Bad(tm)
	- first non-quote - not necessarily most important, may be
	  misleading

But information about author, date, maybe change of subject, status
flags(?), would be very nice.

How it should like?

John Smith, 19 Jan 2004, 13:45, My ideas
	Jane Doe, 19 Jan 2004, 14:05
		John Smith, 19 Jan 2004, 14:30
	John Doe, 20 Jan 2004, 9:30, Accepting (was: My ideas)
Note: (was: My ideas) is real addition, not KMail modification

With more than X messages in thread, in tooltip should be only
X messages and cut could be shown with eg. ellipsis:
[many entries]
John Smith, 19 Jan 2004, 13:45, My ideas
	Jane Doe, 19 Jan 2004, 14:05
		John Smith, 19 Jan 2004, 14:30
	John Doe, 20 Jan 2004, 9:30, Accepting (was: My ideas)

Cut should be determined not only by how thread is long but with
sensible indent estimation.

m.
Learn Touch Typing with Vim? Oui. Ja. Yes. Tak:
  http://vim.sourceforge.net/script.php?script_id=461