List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: New Tab
From:       Gérard_Delafond <gerard () delafond ! org>
Date:       2004-02-03 7:02:29

Le mardi 03 Février 2004 05:42, James Richard Tyrer a écrit :

> 1)  The option to change the file associations has been removed from the
> context menu.  In stead, I must open properties AND click on a small
> unlabeled icon and wait for the widget to appear.
False :right click, Open with...,Other...,Remember the file association.
> Now some may think
> 'geeeee lets hide this complicated stuff from the newbies'.  WRONG,
I Agree. The best way newbies are no more newbies is to let them see the
complicated things.
> if you
> are trying to figure out what application will correctly open & display a
> file you may need to go through several iterations.  What this
> "improvement" does is make each iteration take longer.
>
> 2)  "Open Terminal Here" has been moved from the context menu to a submenu
> of "Actions".  All this does is make it take longer every time I use it.
> This also applies to other menu items which I often use.
KDE menus were getting too long.
Organizing the menus in submenus is a good thing, but I agree that when your
prefered function is on the second level, you loose time (I liked having "on
all desktops" on the first level of the title bar context menu)

> Perhaps this does need to be addressed in a general way so that it is
> possible for context menu items to be assigned to the main context menu or
> sub menus with some sort of configurable system.
>
> 3)  The: "New Tab" icon has been removed from the Konqueror "Main ToolBar".
>   Since I ofter use that icon and there are others which do not use as
> often, I was somewhat at a loss to understand this.
Window -> New tab. If you really like this button, add it manually.

> There is also the KCM module: "Desktop => Appearance".  It was absolutely
> correct to remove this module.  The Desktop font would have been put with
> the other fonts.  But what about the text color options.  Should they have
> been placed in: "Appearance & Themes = > Colors" where someone might
> logically look for them.  Yes, there probably needs to be another tab in
> that widget -- the existing widget being: "Widget" and the new one being:
> "Other" (at some time in the future there might be something else to add to
> it).
KCM needs big reorganizations, IMHO.

> But where do we now look for these text color settings?  First go to:
> Appearance & Thames => Background".  Not very logical, but it is worse than
> that.  You have to click a button: "Advanced Options".  The Advanced
> Options does appear to be necessary, but it should be a tab in the main
> widget.  In any case: "Background Icon Text" should not be called that
> because it is not 'Background'.  As I stated above, it should be in the
> second tab under colors.
>
> In general, two of these issues are related to special widgets that pop-up
> when you click a button.  I feel that this is ALWAYS bad design.  If there
> are to be additional options in a widget there should be additional tabs to
> accommodate them.  The reason it is bad design is that it is in both cases
> a singular design which is not consistent with anything else -- such a
> design is always a bad idea.
??

> --
> JRT