List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [kde] KMail key binding and the User Interface Guidelines
From:       Jorge Adriano Aires <jadrian () mat ! uc ! pt>
Date:       2004-02-02 23:06:49

First of all, I couldn't agree more, the way kmail works is quite efficient
and I do prefer it (a lot) to the focus paradigm. About the key binding
decisions I got some mixed feelings.

> You want to select another folder: Use Ctrl-Left/Right to select and
> Ctrl-Space to open.
> You want to select another message: Use Left/Right
> You want to scroll: Use Up/Down

Actually we have:
1. Left/Right: move to another message (changes instantly)
2. Ctrl+Left/Right: moves to another folder (needs space to change)
3. Ctrl+Up/Down: moves to another folder (changes instantly)

So 1,2 are similar in key bindings (Left/Right) but different in behaviour.
And 2,3 similar in behaviour but not in key bindings. Two ideas:

- Small change: Swap 2 and 3.
Swap the behaviour of key bindings 2 and 3. It would be more consistent.

- Bigger change:
Do we really need the the 2nd one? We don't have that (AFAIK) for messages, I
can even see it being more useful in this case, so how important to have it
for folders? If we dumped that one then we could use something like:

Ctrl+Up/Down: moves in folders
Shift? Alt?+Up/Down: move in messages

It would be more intuitive and we'd get to keep Left/Right for scrolling left
and right.

Just one more detail. If both Shift and Alt can be used for the example above,
then we could even have something like something like:
Ctrl+Up/Down: move in folders
Altl+Up/Down: move in messages
Ctrl+Shift+Up/Down: move in folders (needs space to select)
Altl+Shift+Up/Down: move in messages (needs space to select)

Thoughts on this?
J.A.