List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Keyboard layouts in multilingual environment
From:       Chusslove Illich <chaslav () sezampro ! yu>
Date:       2004-02-02 12:34:12

I find current concept of dealing with keyboard layouts in multilingual
environment too restraining (although simple), so I would like to propose
a new one.

The problem: You are German person writing a document in French language,
using French keyboard layout, in your KWord localized to German, and
having a keyboard with German caps. Now, you want to undo an action, so
you instinctively press Ctrl and Z, which is in your top row in place of Y
on US layout. But, no dice, you are using French layout, which also has Y
at that place. Then, you want to select something from "View" menu, which
is "Ansicht" in German, so you press Alt and A. Alas, although A in German
layout is in same place as in US, now French layout has Q in that place.
Now imagine a Russian (Cyrillic alphabet) writing a document in Greek
(Greek alphabet)...

The solution, as I see it, is to classify layouts (i.e. alphabets they
input) into few categories and make programs use them appropriately. There
should be three different layouts recognized at any point in program
usage.

First is the language independent control layout, used for instinctive Ctrl
key combinations, like copy, paste, undo, etc. For historical reasons,
this should be US Qwerty layout. Whenever Ctrl is pressed, program should
automatically switch layout to US Qwerty, so no matter what language one
is writing in, Ctrl combinations would always be at the same physical
positions. When Ctrl is released, layout goes back to one user selected.

Second is the language dependent control layout, used for selecting
localized interface widgets, like menus, checkboxes, etc. using Alt key
combinations. Obviously, this layout should match program localization.
Whenever Alt key is pressed, program changes layout to this one, and
changes it back after Alt is released.

Third is the data entry layout. It is the one which is used nowdays, which
user selects through keyboard layout switcher. In this concept, it is used
in all data entry forms, like text boxes, writing documents, etc.
Selecting different layouts for data entry would have no effect on control
layouts.

Our German friend from the example above would have no problems like those
described, aside from having to switch his habit to US Qwerty for Ctrl
combinations. But, he could than count that Ctrl combinations he uses are
truly universal. As a helper, national keyboards should all have US Qwerty
inscribed on keys in small print, in some convenient place, e.g. bottom
key wall (where one can today find inscriptions like "Undrln", "Copy",
etc.)

So, what do you think about 1) concept itself and 2) possibility of
implementation (I myself am not acquainted with KDE programming)?

- --
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)