List:       kde-usability
Subject:    What about a "Configure this" tool?
From:       "Friedrich W. H.  Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2004-02-01 22:02:26

Hi,

may I hear your voices upon this idea I just added to my list of
interestingfeatureideasthatneverwillbeimplemented:
You all may know the "What's this?" feature, that sometimes available popup
thingie that tells something about a certain ui element. You either reach it
by RMB or after turning your mouse cursor into a requestor by clicking the
[?] button on a windows title bar.

Now, wouldn't it be nice to have something equivalent for configuring things?
The RMB is often already implemented, all that is missing is the configure
mouse state.

You may ask "Why is this needed?" I ask rhetorically "Why do we have it for
What'sThis?" and explain further "Because it helps people to be reminded that
they can configure things and to find those elements that are by hovering
around. It also may come in service for one button mouses."

Now, what do you really say? Would it be useful to head for integration for
this?

Friedrich

PS: Another usability feature I think of would be to highlight all those
elements that can be queried or configured after switching to the respective
mouse mode, or?