List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Miscellaneous" category needed in the KMenu
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-01-30 22:52:50

Frans Englich wrote:
> On Thursday 29 January 2004 21:47, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Frans Englich wrote:

>>>A "Misc" category would have the same problem as "Apps" - it is generic
>>>and doesn't tell the user anything. If the text of the toplevel
>>>categories are to help the user navigate and describe what the submenu
>>>contains, "misc" as well as "apps" is pretty hopeless, I think.
>>
>>Yes, it has the same problems.  But, there are apps that don't fit in the
>>enumerated categories.  Previously, these apps could be put in
>>Applications, but now there isn't any place for them.
>>

>>>Anyway, if the categories are to be added it should be done on the
>>>xdg-list so fd.o don't loose its influence.
>>
>>OK, will forward original there.

>>>Hm.. What about Science or Geology?
>>
>>That is Genealogy :-)  Ancestors, not rocks.
>

> hehe :) Must be a bug in Konqueror or something... triggered by
> gramps.sf.net...
>

>>>KDE's application menu only got support Science, and it's under the
>>>"edutainment" menu, AFAICT. Perhaps "Science" should have its own top
>>>level menu? (I think science/research apps like gramps will be a great
>>>hit in open source..)
>>
>>Yes if there were a top level for Science you could stretch the definition
>>a little and put Genealogy under Science.
>

> Putting gramps under Science is not a wrong categorization, Genealogy just
> happens to be more exact(but is a sub class of Science).
> I would say, from a usability viewpoint it is preferred to only have Science
> as toplevel and not subcategories in Science for each specific science, such
> as Genealogy. IOW, I think it is just fine right now for gramps' case,
> although I personally doesn't make much sense out of KDE's "edutainment".

OK, so if Science is OK, I tag it as:

	Categories=Application;Science;

and it is still in Lost & Found. :-(

>>But there is still going to be some application that there isn't a defined
>>top level menu category for.
>

> Hm.. I can't figure out an example so I will first believe it when I see it,
> although it doesn't sound impossible atleast.

It is hard to predict things which you can't anticipate. :-)

I also find that the default KMenu XML file does not have: Engineering.
This is in the specification at fd.o.  I made a file to add that and it works.

--
JRT