I did a study trying to find out what problems undergraduate information management and computer science students had with passwords, by beefing up the system logs to record all password submissions on a web-based examination ap and then me interpreting them without help from the people who made the mistake (ie. I could have categorised them wrong).

Here's what I say I found: about 15 percent of password problems (when a password submitted at a password prompt is incorrect) are typing related.  The vast bulk of errors were to do with having too many passwords - see below.  So, the proposed solutions could help a bit, but won't tackle the main problem.

Problem type

Proportion

Description of problem

Expired  Pwd

37%

Using an expired password instead of the currently valid one.

Substitution

15%

Using some password like sequence of characters instead of the currently valid password.

Enter

9%

Pressing Enter before typing a password – no password was entered in the login attempt

Omission

6%

Omitting a necessary character from an otherwise correct password

Addition

5%

Having an unnecessary character in an otherwise correct password

Partial Recall

5%

Recalling part of a password, but not the rest of it

Distribution

4%

A problem occurred during the initial distribution of the account details

System Error

3%

A malfunction in the password mechanism

Replacement

2%

Having incorrect characters in an otherwise correct password

Blend

1%

Mixing parts of passwords together

Capitalisation

1%

Using the wrong capitalisation in all or part of a password

Userid

1%

Entering the username instead of the password

Sacha