List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Allowing No Hide mode in passwords
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2004-01-24 19:50:00

Dnia Saturday 24 of January 2004 03:34, Aaron J. Seigo napisał:
> > On Friday 23 January 2004 19:21, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > 1. as a implementation detail, it may be good to make it the last
> > > character that is shown, so when the user deletes a letter they see
> > > what is now the last character.. e.g.:
> >
> > No. this way you can easily figure out the password by deleting it.
> >
> > > 2. show whatever character is directly before the cursor, e.g.:
> >
> > same thing. even easier to retrieve a password.
>
> i wasn't aware we were trying to protect people who leave passwords
> half-entered on their screen and then let someone else sit down at the
> keyboard.

Each thing which helps to enter password by revealing part of it in this
or that manner also help to break it in some special situation. But many
security purists seem not to realize that people with problems in
remembering passwords or typing it will end with piece of paper with
password on it attached to their keyboards or monitors. IMO each way to
reduce number of those "hints" is Good Thing (tm).

m.