List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Allowing No Hide mode in passwords
From:       Jorge Adriano Aires <jadrian () mat ! uc ! pt>
Date:       2004-01-19 22:40:09

> Yes, good point. We must make absolutely sure that the user knows what he's
> doing when enabeling clear passwords.
>
> Maybe it's a good idea to make this configurable only when the user has
> typed his correct kwallet or unix password. You don't want to have a
> visitor enabeling clear passwords. That must be virtually impossible.

Yes that too, but not what I meant. I was talking about how bad it can be for
*guests*. People don't expect their password to be visible in password
prompts. Some scenarios to illustrate my point:

Scenario 1:
John enables clear passwords.
Friends meet at John house, and he's showing them KDE.
- (Friend) John, may I try connecting to my ftp server?
- (John) Sure, go ahed.
Stuart gets the login/pass prompt and types his stuff...
- (Friend) Opppsssss... wtf?
- (Other Friends) Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah!!!

Scenario 2:
John enables shortcuts to show passes.
Friends meet at house and he's showing them KDE.
- (Friend) John, may I try connecting to my ftp server?
- (John) Sure, go ahed.
Stuart  gets the login/pass prompt and types his stuff... is about to press
enter...
- (John) Look a bird!!
- (Friend) Where, where??
John presses shortcut.
- (Other Friends) Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah!!

J.A.