List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Allowing No Hide mode in passwords
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2004-01-19 19:12:27

On Monday 19 January 2004 01:44, bj@altern.org wrote:
> Hello !
>
> First post to this list :-). As maintainer of KGpg, a user told me he was
> using long passwords, and that it was hard to tell if he made a mistake
> because currently KPasswordDialog only displays ************** when you
> type a password. He would like to be able to actually see the password he
> is typing.
>
> I think this could be a usability enhancement (for example for people that
> have problem with typing) to allow the user to choose a "No Hide" mode from
> the "passwords" module in the Control Center. In this "No Hide" mode,
> passwords would appear in clear in the password dialogs.
>
> I had a look at it and created 2 small patches (attached) that implement
> this feature. What do you think of the idea ?

Hehe, I have just showered, and while I did that I pondered on this
interesting idea. While I still don't know what's up and down regarding the
idea, I came to think of the latest attempt at compromising the linux kernel.

This idea involves patching security related stuff.. One should keep it in
mind ;-) One day a patch on one of our lists will be Evil..

This is of course not ment personally, bj. I haven't even looked at the
patch :P I just thought it could be a good idea airing this slightly OT
thought ;-)

Cheers,

			Frans