List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Alt+F3 window menu
From:       Max Howell <mail.kde.org () methylblue ! com>
Date:       2004-01-16 22:45:34

On Friday 16 January 2004 13:07, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> - Any other idea?

If the user activates the menu with the mouse then he doesn't need any of the
actions that are available in the window decoration itself (depending on how
he has configured it). I say this because he may as well have used the mouse
on the window decoration buttons. Most likely he wants the items from the
advanced sub-menu.

If he has activated the menu using the keyboard he needs all of the actions. I
say this because the window decoration buttons can not be activated with the
keyboard (well, not directly anyway).

Thus perhaps two differently arranged menus:

1. with the mouse, put the advanced menu items in the top level and the items
that are in the window decoration in a "standard items" sub-menu

2. with the keyboard, put the standard items in the toplevel and the advanced
items in an "advanced items" sub-menu (exactly as it is currently).

The main problem I see with this is a lack of consistency. But then again it
requires different methods to get the menu, if I used ALT-F3 I might not
expect the same menu as when I right-clicked.

I don't know which one I'd suggest for the window menu button as I have that
disabled in my setup. Probably the mouse one.

Max
--
http://www.methylblue.com/filelight/